Change assignment settings for multiple students
Sometimes individual students need assignment accommodations, such as extra time to complete a test. When you don’t want these changes to affect the entire class, use the Individual Student Settings page. Select a student(s)/assignment(s) by applying filters such as student/assignment tags and making any changes. For an overview, see the animated gif below.
You might also want to batch assign specific assignment settings to a group of students (that override their current settings), but not the whole class. You can do this using tagging and the Customize, and batch apply, assignment settings for a group of students using both student and assignment tags section below.
You can also change assignment settings for a single student from the student's Results page in the Gradebook. For more information, go to Override assignment settings for students.
If you create individual assignment settings and edit the assignment settings for the entire class, you can choose whether to apply the class settings to students with individual settings.
If you personalize settings for a student who later switches to another section of the class, the student's individual assignment settings are not carried over to the new class. Similarly, if you copy an assignment that has individual student settings, the individual settings are not transferred to the copied assignment.
- HW & Test Manager and Individual Student Settings — Select.
- By default, Student is selected — Choose a student and modify the settings for 1/more assignments.
- Assignment — Select and choose an assignment. Modify the settings for 1/more students or batch assign.
- Select a Student. If you already selected students, select Manage Student List to edit the list. In the Add/Remove Students window: If you added student tags, you can filter students using the All Student Tags list.
- From the Assignment Category, choose whether to see settings for Homework/Quizzes & Tests.
- Select Add/Remove Assignments to choose 1/more assignments. In the Add/Remove Assignments window that appears: If you added assignment tags, filter them using the All Assignment Tags list.
- Select Save Settings to save the settings for all the table selections.
- Select Manage Student List next to the student's name.
- In the Add/Remove Students window, select and move the student in the list of students with individual settings.
- Select the left-pointing arrow.
- Select Save Settings to save settings for all students.
- Assignment Category — Assignment type
- Assignment — Select the assignment.
- Add/Remove Students — Select students using the Add/Remove Students modal.
- Assignment Tag — Select 1 or Show All.
- Assignment Category — Select Homework/Tests and Quizzes/Show All.
- Assignment — If available and you select Select All, the group of assignments, which use the selected tag and belong to the selected category, are displayed in the table. (If there aren't any students with individual settings—the table doesn't appear.)
- Add/Remove Students
- See this option if you've added 1/more student tag(s). All Student Tags is an additional filter that works with any assignment tag/assignment filter on the page. Select to filter by 1/all students with this tag(s).
When you Save Settings, all the student settings shown in the table are saved—regardless of filtering.
Any changes you make here override any existing individual student settings for students in the selected group. Assignments without due dates, with a start date beyond the due date, and with due dates greater than late submission dates might be flagged as issues.
Make sure you've added and applied:
- Assignment Tag — Select 1 tag and not Show All.
- Assignment Category — Select a category and not Show All.
- Assignment — Select Select All.
- Student Tag — Select 1.
- Compare against existing settings for each assignment in the Select All group: Review Class Assignment Settings
Use the check boxes for these settings that appear in the following section.
- If you're not batch assigning, or — Select in the heading row to select/deselect only filtered assignments/students.
- If you're batch assigning, — Select to make changes.
- Assigned — Select Unassigned to hide the assignment from the student's calendar and Homework and Tests page. To prevent an assignment from contributing to a student's results, go to omit the assignment.
- Start — Change when the assignment is available to students.
- Due — Change this date and/or time using the month/day/year format—for example, 5/24/19. Enter times in the hour:minute AM/PM format—for example, 2:00 PM.
- Scoring Options and Allow late submission — Make an assignment available to students beyond the due
- Final submission — Enter a date and time beyond which students can't work on the assignment.
- Late penalty — Deduct once from the final score or an amount for each day the assignment is overdue. In either case, in Penalty, enter the amount and whether to deduct points/percentage. Select Apply only to late questions to apply the penalty only to assignments submitted after the due date.
- If you're allowing students to work after the due date and it's available for a test/quiz, specify a Password. Note: Avoid using these unsupported characters < >
(Students can always review the assignment without getting credit.)
- Number of Attempts — Enter a number to limit the number of attempts a student can make on the test/quiz.
- Homework, only Attempts per question — Limit the number of times a student can select Similar Exercise/Try Again to work the same question. (Similar Exercise generates the same question with different values. Try Again refreshes the same version of the question.) You can enter the number of attempts, or times the student can regenerate the question.
- For a test/quiz, Time Limit — Choose Show time remaining during the test. This lets the student see the remaining time. (This option is not available for TestGen tests.)
Pearson LockDown Browser prevents students from opening applications or other browser windows while taking online tests/quizzes.
If available in your course, ProctorU Review+ uses a student's webcam to make a video recording of the student's work.
- If you select Require a LockDown Browser for this assignment. You can select either Allow use of basic calculator/Allow use of scientific calculator to let students use a desktop calculator.
- Select Require ProctorU Record+ and students must use ProctorU monitoring.
To make change(s) to a single assignment/student, make a selection and edit their row settings.
To apply your changes only to the selected assignments, select Save Settings.
If enabled for a test/quiz, also review LockDown Browser
See the following example — label names, such as LockDown Browser