Choose assignment settings
Step 3 of the assignment creation wizard lets you specify how students access and use the assignment. The options available depend on the type of assignment.
When you assign a Dynamic Study Modules (DSM) module, only the Due date and Deduct late submission penalty settings are applied. After you assign it, your MyLab assignment information is sent to DSM. The assignment initialization is confirmed.
- If you are creating an assignment, complete the first two steps.
- Select the Choose Settings tab.
Optionally select Review Individual Student Settings to open the Individual Student Settings Summary page and see students with individual settings for this assignment.
Your assignment is automatically Available and Due on the day and time you select/change. After the due date, students can review
homework. If you let them, they can do additional work for credit.
If necessary, Change the time zone. If you make this change, you can batch change all of your assignment dates on the Change Due Dates & Assign Status page.
Chapter Associations — Based on the questions you selected in step 2 of the wizard, the assignment is automatically associated with a chapter. If there's no chapter association, its associated with Chapter 1. When associated with multiple chapters, only the last chapter is displayed. To add additional chapter, select Change . . ..
In MyLabsPlus, you can change the unit associated with an assignment that already exists in your MyLabsPlus Gradebook. Manually delete the assignment from your MyLabsPlus Gradebook and then recreate it in your MyLab Gradebook. The change in your MyLab Gradebook updates your MyLabsPlus Gradebook.
This assignment appears with each selected chapter/unit. For example, if you selected Chapters 1 - 3, the assignment appears in the assignment list when it is filtered on any of these chapters
- Allow students to continue to work and change their score after the due date — See Allow students to submit assignments late.
- Require password, Require final submission, Deduct late submission penalty, and Apply only to questions scored after the due date.
- Partial Credit is required for Workspace Assignments.
- If you deselected, students get a 0 when any part of a multi-part question is incorrect.
When you require students to show their work, specify grading for these questions using Credit for Question/Show work:
Automatically score question/Show Work
- Manually score question/Show Work — To reduce manual grading, we recommend you label no more than 20% of an assignment's problems as Show Work questions.
- Allow students to access HelpMeSolve This and View an Example — Make this help available to students.
To score and give Credit for Show Work, see Grade Show Work questions.
LockDown Browser and Proctoring options: These applications are available only after they have been set up at the course level. Depending on your course settings, you can choose:
Do not use LockDown Browser or automated proctoring
Require LockDown Browser only — The Pearson LockDown Browser prevents students from opening applications or other browser windows while taking online tests/quizzes.
Require ProctorU Record+ — ProctorU Record+ uses students' webcams to remotely monitor and make a video recording of their work. LockDown Browser is not required.
Require LockDown Browser with Respondus Monitor Proctoring — Respondus Monitor Proctoring uses students' webcam to remotely monitor and make a video recording of the their work in the Pearson LockDown Browser.
Choose either Allow use of basic calculator/Allow use of scientific calculator to let students use a desktop calculator.
If you change course-level restrictions after the course started — The revised settings are only applied to new tests or quizzes. For example, if you specify 2 IP address ranges at the course level and later remove 1 of them at the course level, existing assignments continue to have the 2 ranges. New assignments have only 1.
You can require students to enter a Password.
Prerequisites — Select Change and use the Add Prerequisites page.
Attempts per Assignment or for Homework Attempts per Question — Enter the maximum number of times students can take this test, or answer this homework question, before its due date. If deslected, students can take the test, or answer this question, an unlimited number of times.
Video: Question Attempts
Determine how students can resume an interrupted test/quiz by choosing either:
- Let Students have the Save for Later option so they resume the test without your explicit permission. (They can also resume interrupted tests without permission.)
When students return to a test that was saved for later, they can't access questions they answered in earlier sessions.
- Select Students are expected to complete test in one session and specify how to handle attempts for an interrupted session:
- Select If attempt is interrupted, students may re-access and complete on their own and all a student's answers to-date are reloaded into the player when the student re-accesses an incomplete attempt.
- Select If attempt is interrupted, instructors must enable access and choose:
Restricted Access requires students to get your permission to re-enter the test/quiz.
Blocked Access prevents students from accessing any other assignments/questions in the course while taking the test. If the test is interrupted, you must explicitly permit students to re-enter the test. Until you allow them back into the test, students have no access to any other assignments or questions.
Also see Access options for incomplete tests.
If you added media in step 2, Media Access: Require students to work media before answering questions.
When questions in your course include review-only information Review-only Parts — Prevent students from seeing the review-only information when they review their work.
To limit the amount of time students have to complete the test Time Limit — Select and specify the time limit in minutes if you want.
- Show time remaining during test — If you set a time limit, you can also choose to display the elapsed time in the test player during the test.
- Question display — Select Scramble question order for each student to randomly order the questions each time the test is taken.
Learning Aids — Select options available under Question Help in the player (such as Help Me Solve This and View an Example) when students work on the test/quiz. Select See List to get a list of the currently available question help. Select Change to open a window where you can select the types of question help that you want to display to students.
If your course includes live tutoring services, the Connect to a Tutor learning aid adds a Tutoring link in the player. Students can select this link to open a live chat with a tutor.
If you have previously selected specific types of question help for one or more questions, changes that you make here do not affect those questions.
Select Show in Review mode only and students only see selected question types when reviewing their assignment.
When you use the Pearson LockDown Browser for a test/quiz, the Question Help menu isn't available to students while they're doing the assignment. However, you can select StatCrunch from the list of learning aids for statistics questions to make it available during locked-down tests.
Select Show in Review mode only to display Question Help when students review locked-down tests/quizzes.
By default, the Question Help menu is not available for questions where you require students to show their work. Select Change to enable question help for Show Work questions.
When Graphing is enabled, students can change coordinates plotted on a graph by selecting a point and editing its coordinates in a popup window.
- Test Summary shows test score and question results — After students submit a test, the Test Summary page shows the score, displays what questions were answered correctly or incorrectly, and lets students review their work.
- Test Summary shows test score only — After students submit a test, the Test Summary page shows only the score.
- Hide score and question results — After students submit a test, they go directly to their Results page. The page doesn't show score/results, and students can't review their work.
- Student can review test any time after submitting — Lets students review the test any time after they take it.
- Student can review test only immediately after submitting — Lets students review the test immediately after taking it. Students can't review the test again at a later time.
- Student can review submitted test any time after due date — Lets students review the test after it's no longer available to take.
- Student can never review submitted test — Prevent students from reviewing the test at any time.
When students practice, they see a feedback message with helpful hints when they answer a question incorrectly. By default, students see this message when they review a test/quiz question. Disable this setting to prevent students from seeing feedback during their review.
- Study Plan — Deselect to prevent student results on this test/quiz from updating their Study Plan mastery points.
- Print — Select to allow students to print the test questions/answers when reviewing. This option is not available in certain courses.
- Add 1/more tags to your course.
- Select Assignment Tags:
- Select Change to deselect tags/add more or different tags.
- If you see None, select Add to tag this assignment.
- See your tagged assignment:
Select Yes and the individual student gets all of the updates applied to the class.
The exception to the No selection is when the class and individual student settings have ProctorU turned ON and the settings on both this page and step 3 of the assignment creation wizard have ProctorU turned off. In this case, while all other individual student settings are preserved, the ProctorU setting for the individual student setting must also be set to OFF.