Select learning aids and test options when you create/copy a course
In the New/Edit course wizard, set up the Question Help (learning aids) available to students in the player and control how they do assignments.
Go to Course Manager and select Create or copy a course.
Alternatively, locate your course on the Course Manager page: Go to Actions, select Choose, Change Settings, and Go.
- Use a LockDown Browser in this course — Enable the Pearson LockDown Browser to ensure that students can't access applications or other browser windows while taking tests or quizzes online.
More Options — Let your school's network management applications run when LockDown Browser is used.
- Use automated proctoring in this course — Remotely proctor selected test or quizzes by using students' webcams to monitor and record their work:
IP Address Range — Check Require students to take IP-restricted quizzes and tests within the following IP address range to ensure that students use your institution's proxy servers when taking all tests and quizzes in your course. If your institution uses proxy servers to control and monitor student access to the internet, you can use this option to ensure secure access for tests and quizzes. (See Restrict tests to specific IPs for details.)
Select Change to open the IP Address Range window, where you can specify an IP address or a range of IP addresses. Students will need to take all tests and quizzes from one of these addresses, unless you override these settings for individual assignments.
If you deselect this option, IP address restrictions are removed for all tests and quizzes in the course.
If available for this book, you can add Personalization options.
- Multimedia Learning Aids — Select the tutorial assistance available to students in the player's Question Help dropdown list. By default, all learning aids are available. Uncheck its box to exclude a learning aid from homework and Study Plan
work. You can disable learning aids for individual assignments.
If your course includes live tutoring services, select the Connect to a Tutor learning aid to add a Tutoring link in the player. Students can select this link to open a live chat with a tutor.
When you use the Pearson LockDown Browser for a test/quiz, the Question Help list isn't available to students while they're doing the assignment. However, you can select StatCrunch from the list of learning aids for statistics questions to make it available during locked-down tests.
Select Show in Review mode only to display Question Help when students review locked-down tests/quizzes.
When you copy a course, the selected Learning Aids are copied to your course
- Help Me Solve This — Step-by-step assistance as problem -solving help. It also provides instructional text in steps and, in some steps, prompts the student to enter an answer.
- View an Example — Walks through a sample problem that is similar to the problem the student is working on. The example appears in a separate window.
- Video — See a video clip related to the current question.
- Animation — See an animation related to the current question.
- Textbook — Make online textbook available to students.
- Glossary — Open a page where a student can look up term meanings.
- StatCrunch — For statistics questions, enable StatCrunch.
- Calculator — Open online calculator.
- (Available in some courses) Connect to Tutor — Offer access to a fee-based tutor service. Students discuss questions with a tutor using a chat window with an interactive whiteboard. If your school purchased an institutional package, these services might be free. To set up the institutional package, enter the ID in Institution Package ID.
- Ask My Instructor — Lets students email you with questions they're working on. If you have permission, access the Edit Email Address window.
- Skill Builder Adaptive Practice — Monitors your students' progress on a homework assignment and offers adaptive help when a student needs it. Select this option to enable Skill Builder at the course level. You can also select it when you create/edit homework. See About Skill Builder.
Notes: If you enable Skill Builder at the course level and then disable it, any assignments that offered Skill Builder no longer do. If you re-enable Skill Builder, the option to use it is made available in those assignments.