Updated 18 May 2023
Dynamic Study Modules provide excellent opportunities for independent study, and you can encourage their use by assigning them with a due date (with or without points awarded). Doing so places the modules on students' Course Home and adds data about student work in the Mastering Gradebook.
- From the Course Home, select either Create your Assignments (Getting Started area) or Create Assignment (Assignments area).
- Select Add a Dynamic Study Module.
- For Point value, accept or change the number of points and whether the assignment will be for credit, practice, or extra credit. The default is a for-credit assignment worth 10 points.
- For Category, the Dynamic Study Module category cannot be changed. Choosing the Manage Category Weighting link lets you assign a weight for this assignment category in the gradebook.
- For Chapter/Topic, choose from All, a Gap Finder diagnostic module, How Dynamic Study Modules Work, or a book chapter/topic, which can contain one or more modules.
- "How Dynamic Study Modules Work" module: This module introduces Dynamic Study Modules (but not Gap Finder diagnostic modules).
- “Gap Finder” modules: When available, assign Gap Finder Diagnostic modules at the start of the course. These check a student’s initial knowledge. Based on individual student performance, the gap finder can recommend related Gap Finder Study Modules to a student for followup, to help close knowledge gaps. You can also assign Gap Finder Study Modules to all students in the course.
- To preview a module’s questions and answers, select its linked Title.
- To view ALL questions and correct answers at a glance: Choose expand all. When you’re finished, choose collapse all or close the window.
- To view distractors and an explanation about the question: Choose see more.
- If you notice an issue with a question or its answers: Scroll to the bottom of the “see more” view, and select contact the publisher.
- In the Select column, choose the check box for the module(s) you want to add into your course to assign. To select ALL of the modules, choose the check box below SELECT.
Selecting modules adds them to your Assignments list, but not to students’ Course Home until they area assigned.
- Select Continue (bottom left) and follow the steps in the next section to assign the modules.
- Before you assign modules, consider whether to preview a module or remove questions from a Dynamic Study Module.
- Open the Assignments page.
- From Calendar View: Drag titles with “Dynamic Study Module” or "Gap Finder" onto the calendar for the due date and specify a time. More about the assignment calendar
- From List View: Choose (top right) and enter a date and time for the assignment in the Due Date/Time column. Select Save.
Dynamic Study Modules are always available to students, whether for independent study or when assigned.
Select next to the module title on your assignments list and choose Edit Assignment Settings to change the points, due date/time, and weight for this category.
Tip: Even if you don't assign a module to students, you may want to focus their independent study time in a given module by modifying it to remove some questions from the module.
Dynamic Study Modules: Test and improve your knowledge (Student Help)