Updated 31 Jul 2021
Your instructor must enter your grade for any essay or short answer (free-form text). When you submit your essay or short answer, "Submitted, grade pending." appears as answer feedback. All other Mastering standard assignment answers are scored automatically. How to answer essay or short-answer questions
- When the assignment item contains BOTH essay and non-essay questions:
It is provisionally graded as if the essay or short answer parts did not exist. (Normally, all parts in an item contribute equally toward the item score.)
- When the assignment item contains ONLY essay questions:
Your provisional score will be 0% until your instructor grades your work.
This depends on your instructor. Grading for essays or short answers may happen well after the assignment due date.
The grade for the essay or short-answer item should have changed from 0%.
To check for any grading comments from your instructor:
- Open the assignment.
- Select the essay item name.
Below the answer box you should see “Graded, see Previous Answers for details.”
- Choose Previous Answers to review your answer, score, the instructor who provided the score, and any grading comment.
- Select Return to Current Item or close the window to return to your view of the current item.