Get started with the Custom Question Builder
Create your own questions to include on homework assignments, tests, and quizzes, using the Custom Question Builder (CQB). Create short answer, multiple choice, true/false questions or edit publisher-provided questions. Just like publisher-provided questions, students do your questions in the player.
After you install the Custom Question Builder application, create questions with either:
- Static values
- Algorithmically generated values: Regenerate each time a student works the question.
Questions can include number lines, Cartesian graphs, pie charts, bar charts, and figures.
You can use CQB questions on any supported device from within your MyLab course, but you must create them on a PC or laptop.
- Macs (Chrome browser only)
- Windows (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers)
- MyLab Math, MyLab Economics, MyLab Accounting, and so on
- MathXL and MathXL for School
- MyLab Foundational Skills and MyLab Student Success
You can create up to 1000 questions using the CQB. If you need to create more questions, you can either delete or archive some of your older questions or contact Customer Technical Support to increase your limit.
Depending on your course, you can:
- Copy and edit a question from your online course.
and edit a question from the library of sample questions.
The CQB comes with many sample questions organized by subject and topic. To use a sample question, select the question and then save your own copy. Optional: Edit your copy of the question before saving it.
- Create your own questions from scratch.
- Copy and edit a question created by another instructor.
When you save a custom question, you can assign properties to the question so you can easily locate and identify it. If you save a question with a textbook association, the question affects students' Study Plans. You can use your custom questions in any course you teach.
If you edit your custom questions, the changes are automatically updated in assignments that include the questions.
Custom questions you have used in assignments cannot be deleted; however, you can archive outdated questions. Archived questions do not appear in your question pool and cannot be added to assignments, but they remain in any existing assignments where they are used.
Only instructors can create custom questions and use the questions in their courses. Section instructors cannot create or use custom questions when:
- They are teaching in a course taught by another instructor.
- They are section instructors teaching member sections.