Updated 15 Sep 2023
When your instructor turns on the Practice feature for an assignment, you can practice answering items on a completed assignment again as many times as you want after its due date.
- Practice questions may be exactly the same or slightly different if they contain randomized values. For more about randomized values, see the section "Randomized values in practice questions" below.
- Reworking an item for practice does not affect the score you got on it the first time you completed it.
You can also review answers and hints on finished assignment items.
You can usually practice items in Homework () assignments.
When your instructor turns on the practice option for an assignment, you can rework any of its items for practice when ALL of these conditions are met:
- You have already completed the item.
- The assignment due date has passed.
- The assignment is still available to you from the Course Home.
How to tell when Practice is available
Select a completed assignment from the Course HomeCourse Home. When assignment items are ready for you to practice, the button appears to the right of items listed on the assignment summary page. Select to reopen the item for practice.
Practice appears (top left) to let you know that you can practice the item, but you must select the icon to turn on practice mode.
- Adaptive Follow-Ups: The Practice option is available for the prerequisite Parent assignments of Adaptive Follow-Ups. After the assignment due date, any completed items in the Adaptive Follow-Up are also available for you to practice.
- Dynamic Study Modules: To rework questions in a completed Dynamic Study Module, choose its Refresh option. More about refreshing a Dynamic Study Module
- Select an assignment from the Course Home to view its list of items on the assignment summary page.
Tip: You're most likely to find assignments with completed items available for practice in either the Completed Assignments or Past Due Assignments areas of the Course Home.
- Choose to the right of a completed item name.
The item opens in Practice mode with empty answer boxes for its Part questions.
- The questions may be the same or contain different values. For more about randomized values, see the section "Randomized values in practice questions" below.
- What about items that don't have the Practice option? When you complete any unfinished items in the same assignment, they will also become eligible for you to rework for practice.
- Enter your answers and select Submit.
You may see answer feedback that lets you know whether your answer is correct or incorrect.
- Continue practicing any other items in the same assignment by selecting Next Item or Previous Item (top right). For instructions, see next section below.
Practice mode remains engaged for all completed items until you stop practicing, whether you return to the Course Home, go to the assignment summary page, or other.
Randomized values — The structure of the question remains the same each time you practice answering it. However, one or more values in the question is different, like a number, molecule, or other. The correct answer is therefore also different.
- Students cannot control whether items being reworked for practice are randomized.
- Not all item questions are randomizable. For example, Part questions in Adaptive Follow-Up assignment items are NOT randomizable.
The Completed Assignments area of the Course Home provides a tip to remind you about the Practice feature.